Time to freeze some more fruit

>> Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How are all of you doing on freezing or canning your summer produce? I have done fairly well with all that I have gotten this year. So far I have frozen zucchini both shredded and finely grated for sauces. I have frozen spaghetti sauce and fresh blueberries.

My friend Denise has been doing a great job of getting her produce put up this year. She has frozen and canned: blueberries, cherries, strawberries (I believe) and she has canned tomatoes, peaches, made some jellies and is working on some pickles. Good job Denise.

I plan to go get some farm fresh peaches and freeze some this week. Not too many but enough that I can make some fruit crisps this winter. Go here if you want to see how to can/freeze peaches.

This freezing and canning works great for fresh foods. You know what you are eating. You know where it came from and is economical in the long run. I have never canned before. I used to watch my mom do it every year. We had a huge basement growing up and had shelving that was like a grocery store. My mom canned tomatoes and we never used store bought. My dad (he did all the grocery shopping) stocked the shelves with food that he got on sale. He was a coupon man and whenever we needed something we just went downstairs. I have no space to put any canning I would do. I do have a big deep freezer in the garage. I would love to can but just don't know where I would put it.

Leave your stories of gardening, canning and freezing good or bad so we can all hear your great stories.

1 comments:

Denise August 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM  

just got another 1/2 bushel today of peaches...gonna do some peach butter and can these. The frozen ones are great in smoothies. YUM

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008