Pie without the crust? I don't think so...

>> Friday, September 25, 2009


I went back to my local Shelton's store and got another bushel of apples for $4.99. I also got a peck of gala apples to mix with the Paula Red's for the applesauce. The applesauce was super easy. I don't have a special mill or anything. I peeled, cored and sliced the apples. I have no idea how many I used, maybe 1/2 bushel. I used a big stock pot and added about 2 inches or so of apple juice (I used simply apple juice). Start the apples and juice cooking to get the apples tender. After they start getting really hot and tender put them on low with a lid and let them simmer until done. I added about a cup of cinnamon sugar. (this was special raw sugar that had Cinnamon on it). I took a hand held blender and blended away. My daughter likes it with little bits of apples so I blended until I had the consistency I wanted. Taste test .....we had several bowls to make sure we got it just right. SMILE. Let it cool some and put in your freezer bags. Very easy you can't go wrong.





Those were only $2.69 a peck. Last night I did some research on the pie crusts and found that freezing pie crusts are a simple way to have them on hand. I can't stand store bought pie crusts. Here is the recipe I found to make a good old fashion crust. Once you get them into the disc size then you wrap them in wax paper and saran wrap, then put them into a Ziploc bag to pull out the night before you want to make the pie. I figured I might as well get all this done and have all the pie makings at hand or else I wont use up all the apples I am freezing.

My goal this week is to get all the pie crusts done, wrapped and frozen. Tonight and Sunday I will be working on finishing up the apple pie filling, applesauce, plain apples and pumpkin puree. I have a few more zucchini left in the garden that need to be shredded up as well. Other then that I believe I am done with the canning/freezing portion of this years food.

I am pleasantly surprised at how much I have learned this year about making my own food, canning/freezing, gardening and more.

3 comments:

Anonymous September 25, 2009 at 10:15 PM  

Wow Paula, your are the baking, and freezing queen!

Denise September 26, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

You are awesome!! I am so glad you are liking this it is so much better for you to eat! Great job!!!

Nanny Dee September 26, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

Hi Paula -- thank you for leaving your kind comment on my blog about my father's passing. I tried to email you directly, but my Outlook doesn't work, so I couldn't get your address.

I love your blog and all your tips!

Take care -- Dee

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008