Homemade Products: Cleaning Products (freshners, polishes and mold)

>> Saturday, January 16, 2010


There are so many coupons available these days for air fresheners. You can get fa breeze, Lysol, candles, glade the list goes on and on however there is one thing you get in these products you didn't bargain for and that is chemicals that can be breathed into your body. Yes they can be cheap, easy and convenient I won't deny that but I can honestly say I have not missed them in my home in the past several years. My allergies love the scented fresheners that I make and I don't have to worry about the harmful chemicals.

The recipe in the Homemade book is as follows: 12 oz spray bottle, 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 25 drops of essential oils and 1 cup distilled water.

My recipe is pretty easy I get a spray bottle (I bought color ones for the bathrooms) and I put in water from the tap (we have well water). I add 20 to 40 drops of a couple different oils. I like the citrus smells and I tend to like it more overpowering. I would recommend labeling it for people who don't know what it is however in my house every one knows its use. Everyone loves it. In the bathroom you can give a few spritzes and it is heavenly. In the house a couple of quick sprays takes the smell out of the living room and kitchen. It dries quickly because you should but it on the mist setting.

Remember you can add a teaspoon of baking soda as well. Using tea tree and lavender oils have disinfectant agents as well.


Furniture Polishes

Lemon Oil Furniture Polish: 1 cup Olive oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1 clean 16 oz spray bottle. Combine and shake well. Apply small amount to soft flannel or cloth and apply evenly over wood surfaces. Use clean cloth to buff and polish. Make a fresh batch when you want to do furniture again.

NO Fuss Furniture Polish: 1/4 cup boiled linseed oil, 1/8 cup vinegar, 1/8 cup whiskey, clean 16 oz spray bottle. Combine and shake well. Apply small amount of polish to clean soft cloth and wipe on. No need to buff: the dullness will evaporate with the alcohol.

Mold & Mildew Removers

Spot Mold and Mildew Remover: 1 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons borax, 4 cups hot water, 16 oz spray bottle. Combine and shake well. Spray on surfaces and wipe off mildew or mold. This spray will help to keep more from forming. This works great on window sills, cabinets, bathrooms and other surfaces.


0 comments:

Blog Archive

My Photos

About This Blog

  © Design By Happy Apple Studios 2008